Fall 2019 admissions to the graduate program
The application deadline for Fall 2019 has now passed.
Applications that are incomplete by this date will NOT be considered.
Read on to learn how to apply for admission for the next semester. Dates will be updated soon.
Required application materials
Prospective graduate students must submit materials to both the UGA Graduate School and the Department of English.
For the UGA Graduate School
The following required application materials should be sent to the UGA Graduate School:
- Application to Graduate School
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Official GRE scores (and GRE Literature Subject scores for PhD applicants)
- TOEFL scores for non-native English speakers
- 3 letters of recommendation: These letters should be submitted through the online application process. List the names of recommenders in the fields on the application along with their email addresses. For those applying for a Teaching Assistanship, one letter of recommendation should address the applicant's teaching record. The Graduate School will send referees a link to access a secure page where they can submit your recommendation via the web.
For the English Department
Where to send materials
The following required application materials should be sent to the English Department's Graduate Office: Amanda Cross at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit all supplemental information in one packet with a coversheet outlining everything enclosed (in a file labeled, for example: Mary Smith_Application Materials_2018.pdf) . Please also put your name on every document included in the submission.
What to include
- Statement of Intent: Prepare a typed statement of some 500 to 1000 words describing your reasons for applying to a graduate program in English and the kind of study you wish to pursue, including your area(s) of interest. If you wish to be considered for the creative writing program (Ph.D. only), you should make that wish clear in your Statement of Intent.
- Critical writing Sample: A critical look at a literature text. This sample may be an excerpt from a longer work and should run 10-15 typed pages; longer samples are discouraged. All creative writing students MUST submit both a critical and a creative sample.
- Resume/CV: 1-2 pages outlining your work and teaching experience, if any.
- Teaching Assistantship/ Research Assistantship Application.
- Creative Writing Samples (For Creative Writing Applicants Only): While the Program practices and fosters writing between, across, and within multiple genres and media, for purposes of the application we ask that you select a genre concentration and submit a sample consistent with that emphasis: 10 pages of poetry, or 20 pages of fiction or creative non-fiction.
Check on the status of your application
Once you have submitted your application, you can use the Graduate Tracking system to check on the status of your materials. Please also consult the English Departmental field screen in the Graduate Tracking system to see whether Letters of Recommendation have been received, as there will not appear on the Graduate school field.
We encourage you to apply as early as possible. Allow plenty of lead time for official test scores, transcripts, and other materials to reach the Graduate School by December 3, 2018 so that all material will arrive in our office on time. Incomplete applications will not be considered for admission. No exceptions.
Applicants who wish to insure a timely admissions decision may send unofficial copies of all transcripts and test scores to the English Department Graduate Office, in addition to having official copies sent to the Graduate School. Applicants are responsible for seeing that their materials arrive in the proper offices by the designated deadline. Checking the Graduate Tracking Database frequently is an excellent way to make sure all of your submitted materials have reached us. The Graduate School will email you a user name and password after your application is submitted.
Notification of acceptance
The Graduate School (not the Department) will inform applicants by mail of admissions and assistantship decisions. Applications incomplete after December 3 will not be considered. Incomplete files WILL NOT be notified of any decisions.